Child relocation or travel

Difficulties often arise when one party, particularly the party with whom child or children are living with, decides that they wish to relocate to a different town, state or country. The difficulty with relocation is the restriction it is likely to put on the amount of time that the non-relocating party can spend with the child or children.

If you are the primary carer of your child and you wish to relocate, the best approach is to first try and reach agreement with the other parent and then formalise the arrangements through a written parenting plan or consent orders.  Do not assume that it is okay to move simply because there are no orders in place.

If you cannot reach an agreement, you can apply to the Court for a parenting order allowing you to relocate with the child.  In making such a decision the Court will determine what is in the child’s best interest.

Seek legal advice before relocating your child

The team at Wiltshire Family Law is well known for their expertise in the area of child relocation. This is an area of particular interest to Andrew Wiltshire and he has dealt with a vast number of cases in both the Family Court of Australia and the Federal Magistrates Court of Australia.

Contact Us